Thursday, August 2, 2007

twisties for dinner

we must be halfway through the film festival. I would know if I knew what day it is, but that's what I get for trying to keep up with the beer-drinking prowess of my dear friend AF (I put it down to proper German fortitude, JG thinks I'm a lightweight and just need more practice... no, I do not need to drink more, I promise you)...

some random observations regarding the film festival -

during this 19 day period of July into August, dinner can constitute any or all of the following: twisties, cheezels, m&ms, (king size) cherry ripes, choc-tops (for those without an irrational fear of biting into cold hard things that induce dental pain - I must reveal here that I've never eaten a choc-top - I imagine them to be like horrible frozen rocks masquerading as something sweet and nice).

some people bring souvlakis into the cinema. am I a killjoy or does this violate a natural law of some kind?

Grated Onion, the cinema on Russell St, is quite the crappest cinema ever. this observation is justifiable according to the following -
- the seats are old and crap and uncomfortable
- they can't run a session on schedule
- the carpet smells faintly of regurgitated popcorn. do people really eat so much popcorn that they vomit? or is it reversed gastric matter of unspecified content, mixed with un-masticated popcorn spilled on the floor?
at least they're allowing queues inside this year, instead of letting us stand around in the skanky laneway in the freezing cold.

those coconutty-almondy Rafaello things come in VERY LOUD PACKAGING, as politely noted by Pseudo-Professor-Creepy-Guy in the row in front of me at the Regent. pompous jock-itch. damn those things are good, has anyone eaten one lately?

the Regent is quite the best theatre, and it is worth going there even to see a crap film, just to sit in that beautiful, majestic space.

my two picks to date: The Cats of Mirikitani and Return to Goree. both beautiful, excellent, inspiring...

the film about the people who shag horses: a bit naff.

Black Sheep by Jonathan King, a horror-comedy with lots of kiwi sheep jokes is going on general release most likely at the end of August (can't waste valuable festival sessions on films that will screen at the Nova in a few weeks). it's had good reviews and I await general release for some cutesy-baa-lamb-blood-guts action.