Thursday, May 24, 2007

zucchini frittata

I want to write to write about this dish because
(1) I have a terrible hangover, which requires comfort food (in fact I couldn't even eat this right now- maybe in a few hours)
(2) I read The Elegant Sufficiency post about dishes associated with memories of people and I'm thinking about my grandfather, Giorgio.

this was what he used to make when I'd turn up unannounced, at odd times or after late lectures. I imagine he used to eat it quite often dining solo, just accompanied with a thick piece of crusty pasta dura and glass of his own wine. he had a huge vegetable garden and always had loads of zucchini and broad beans in the season, and he used to let some of the zucchini grow enormous before picking them, and peel off the tough skin before cooking them.

I used to like watching Giorgio prepare this dish because I thought the way he'd throw salt into cooking by the handful and slosh in loads of olive oil was very naughty, so unlike my mother's careful use of such things. that's probably why this comforting dish tastes so good. he used to make it in a well-worn little aluminium frypan, which works well for a small frittata, but I find it much easier to bake anything bigger than this; you get a lighter, more even result.

4 eggs
1 medium zucchini (peeled if desired) and diced
4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
a handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
a lot of salt
a little bit of pepper
about 4 tablespoons of olive oil

beat the eggs until just mixed, then add the salt, pepper and parsley.

fry the zucchini until soft and starting to colour a little.

add the garlic and fry for another minute, then pour in the eggs and stir.

as the bottom starts to set scrape it to the centre of the frypan, allow the bottom to set again and repeat the process.

cook the frittata with the lid on over a low to medium heat, checking that the base isn't burning. cook to your liking (I like mine a bit soft, if you want a well cooked frittata finish it off under the grill).

serves 2, with bread (and wine- but not with a hangover).