Monday, August 13, 2007

the cheese show

aaah, the cheese show. JG tried to work it out before I went off on my lactic mission for the second year running... he figured that at 300 cheeses at about 5g per serve I would eat 1.5kg of cheese on Sunday. If I did, it hasn't done anything to dampen my cheesey desires. actually mostly the tastes are very small, and I probably missed a couple (what was I thinking?), and there's not usually bread, just very small fragments of lavosh wafers, so it's not that hard. AF and I were almost ready to start the room all over again as soon as we'd finished, until TJ dragged us to our senses and off to the pub for a beer.

excuse the poor picture quality, I forgot my camera.

here we have AF's impressive array of acquisitions.

I also procured many fine cheeses and a nice quince paste, all of which will last us... probably about a week.

notable inclusions on the day were, as always, Shaw River's buffalo cheeses, some great blues, including Jumbunna cows blue, a settled (not pressed) Stilton type from Jindi's Top Paddock label. there were plenty of washed rinds, the beautiful goats milk camembert and brie styles from Woodside Cheese Wrights in the Adelaide Hills, and some great fresh goats curd and chevre styles from Yarra Valley Dairy and Meredith Dairy.

Apostle Whey (so named because it's "on the whey" to the twelve apostles... I had to ask) runs Friesian cows which give a distinct flavour to their cheeses (their blue is particularly fantastic), and Alexandrina Cheese have Jersey cows with their amazing creamy milk, which goes into their great cheddars and dutch style cheeses.

sadly excluded, for whatever reasons, were Kingaroy Cheese, from Queensland, which I tried at last year's show and unfortunately haven't come across for sale since, Grandvewe Cheeses from Tasmania, Tarago River from Gippsland with
their wonderful Strzelecki Goat Blue, and my favourite cheeses in the world, Holy Goat (perhaps because the latter two are off to Italy for the Slow Food cheese symposium!)


and then there was this gem... we were wandering around thinking we could smell cheese fondue, and there it was, a burner melting wedges of Heidi Farm's Raclette, scraped onto bread, so gorgeous, gooey and delicious!